1) The Gourmet Chicken Sandwich at L.A. Bread on Los Feliz. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say that this is my favorite sandwich of all-time. It's grilled chicken, melting brie, pears, and pesto on walnut raisin bread. Everything I've had there has been great, but that sandwich takes the cake. Ooh! Try their cakes! And the farmer's market salad! Perfect!!
2) A big heaping spicy incredible heap of steaming hot vegetarian curry from India Sweets and Spices. While the Bollywood movies blasting in the background are rad, this place gains no points for decor. Having said that, it's wonderfully inexpensive and fast. And really, really tasty.
3) The Prime Rib at The Tam O'Shanter. This is their specialty, and you really can't go wrong. I love their chocolate soufflé and lunch time sandwich board as well.
4) The Asia Roll, the Crazy Roll, and the Loster Truffle Mac n' Cheese at Asia on Los Feliz. Wow.
5) The Serrano ham plate, the heirloom tomato salad, and any beef dish at Canelé. Plus, the actual canelés that they give you on the way out are pretty amazing. I think it took some time for them to find their footing and live up to the great hype, but I believe they have. It's a great, cozy, fun, delicious place for dinner.
6) Pho Tai at Indochine Vien on Glendale Blvd. I've already written about how much I love the pho tai at Indochine Vien. It's, like, A LOT.
7) The spinach burrito, potato burrito, steak burrito, and street tacos at our local taqueria, Tacos Villa Corona. This place is what Atwater is all about.
8) Just walking by and smelling the amazing smells coming out of Baracoa Cuban Cafe is enough to get a mention here. Rice and beeeeans..ahglahglahglahgahalghghgla... [/Homer]
9) The cinnamon bun latte at Kaldi Coffee.
10) The crunchy, melty paninis from Toni's Bakery and Cafe. This place reminds me of some of the long-lost cafes of my childhood in Grand Forks, ND. What they lack in decor they make up for in taste.
What did I forget? What did I leave out? Tell me!
photo of Tam O'Shanter from the Tam O'Shanter site, Tacos Villa Corona photo from here.